Theft Charges in Maryland
No one is immune from making mistakes. Unfortunately, some mistakes have legal consequences that can have a devastating impact on your personal life, reputation, and career. If you are facing theft charges, obtaining legal representation from a Baltimore theft crimes attorney can play an essential role in protecting your rights, your freedom, and your future.
At my firm, The Law Offices of Gil S. Amaral, Esq., I pride myself on serving people from all walks of life. Over the years, clients have praised the accessibility, empathy, and personal approach they have found at my firm. I am sure that you will feel just as comfortable when you enter my office for your free consultation to discuss the details of your case.
Get started on your case today.
Our team is available 24/7 call 410-727-9550
or begin your free case review online now.
Baltimore Theft Defense Attorney
What are the types of theft in Maryland?
In the State of Maryland, theft offenses are defined by statute. Maryland law defines five categories of theft crimes.
These categories include:
- Unauthorized control over property
- Unauthorized control over property by deception
- Possession of stolen property
- Control over property that is lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake
- Theft of services available only for compensation
Remember: You are innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to provide evidence that you are guilty of a theft offense.
The state must prove that you either:
- Intentionally deprived the owner of their property, or
- Willingly or knowingly used, concealed, or abandoned the property in a way that actually deprives, or will likely deprive, the owner of the property
Regardless of whether the prosecutor has evidence against you, a skilled criminal defense lawyer can develop a strategic defense that could minimize your charges or even get them dismissed.
Theft Crime Penalties
Any type of theft crime conviction could cause you to spend years in jail or be subject to excessive fines. In Maryland, the penalties for theft-related offenses depend on the value of the property stolen.
The classifications and penalties for theft crimes include:
- Felony theft (more than $100,000): Up to 25 years in prison and/or up to a $25,000 fine
- Felony theft (between $10,000 to $100,000): Up to 15 years in prison and/or up to a $15,000 fine
- Felony theft (between $1,000 to $10,000): Up to 10 years in prison and/or up to a $10,000 fine
- Misdemeanor theft (between $100 and $1,000): Up to 18 months in jail and/or up to a $500 fine
- Petty theft ($100 or less): Misdemeanor, up to 90 days in jail and/or up to a $500 fine
Aggressive and experienced Baltimore criminal defense attorney Gil S. Amaral, Esq. will fight for your rights immediately!
If you have been charged with theft, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced theft crime lawyer in Baltimore. When you reach out to The Law Office of Gil S. Amaral, Esq., I can provide you with the legal advice you need that could help you avoid the severe consequences of a criminal conviction.
Our team is available live 24/7 call now (410) 727-9550